Donald Trump Campaign Promises - Circa Nov 2016
Most presidential candidates are careful to not promise too much on the campaign trail. That’s not at all the case for Republican front-runner Donald Trump. Listed below are 76 things that Trump has said he would do if elected, or has predicted would occur as a result of his election. If he were to win the White House, Trump has promised to:
1. Build a wall along the southern border that's taller than the arenas where Trump holds his rallies, taller than any ladder and one foot taller than the Great Wall of China. This "artistically beautiful" wall will be constructed out of hardened concrete, rebar and steel, and it will be "the greatest wall that you've ever seen" -- so great that the nation will likely one day name it "The Trump Wall."
2. Make Mexico pay for the wall. If Mexico refuses, then the United States will impound all remittance payments taken from the wages of illegal immigrants, cut foreign aid, institute tariffs, cancel visas for Mexican business leaders and diplomats, and increase fees for visas, border-crossing cards and port use.
Trump compares proposed border wall to Great Wall of China Play Video1:23 At a campaign event at Liberty University in Lunchburg, Va., Donald Trump compared his proposed border wall to the Great Wall of China. (Reuters) 3. "If I become president, we're all going to be saying 'Merry Christmas' again."
4. Get rid of Common Core because it's "a disaster" and a "very bad thing." Trump says he wants to give local school districts more control and might even eliminate the Department of Education.
5. The Environmental Protection Agency might also disappear.
6. Get rid of Obamacare and replace it with something "terrific" that is "so much better, so much better, so much better."
7. Knock down the regulatory walls between states for health insurance, making plans available nationally instead of regionally.
8. Rebuild the country's aging infrastructure -- especially bridges and airports that look like they belong in a third-world country -- for one-third of what the United States is currently paying for such projects.
[Republican candidate Donald Trump's platform: Because I said so]
9. Save Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security without cutting benefits.
10. Defund Planned Parenthood.
11. "I will take care of women, and I have great respect for women. I do cherish women, and I will take care of women."
12. Frequently use the term "radical Islamic terrorism."
13. Temporarily ban most foreign Muslims from entering the United States "until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on." Trump would allow exceptions for dignitaries, business people, athletes and others who have "proven" themselves.
Trump calls for 'total and complete' shutdown of Muslims entering U.S. Play Video0:28 Republican presidential contender Donald Trump said on Dec. 7 that he was in favor of a '"total and complete" shutdown of Muslims entering the United States. (C-SPAN) 14. Bar Syrian refugees from entering the country and kick out any who are already living here. Trump says wealthy Persian Gulf nations like Saudi Arabia should pay to set up a heavily guarded "safe zone" in Syria.
15. Heavily surveil mosques in the United States. Trump has said he's open to the idea of closing some mosques.
16. Create a database of Syrian refugees. Trump hasn't ruled out creating a database of Muslims in the country.
17. Never take a vacation while serving as president.
18. Prosecute Hillary Clinton for her use of a private e-mail server while serving as secretary of state.
Clinton: Trump is 'trying to bully and buy his way into the presidency' Play Video1:16 Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton accused Donald Trump of "trying to bully and buy his way into the presidency." (Reuters) 19. Make medical marijuana widely available to patients, and allow states to decide if they want to fully legalize pot or not.
20. Stop spending money on space exploration until the United States can fix its potholes. Encourage private space-exploration companies to expand.
21. Pick Supreme Court justices who are "really great legal scholars."
22. Ensure that Iowa continues to host the nation's first presidential nominating contest.
23. Strengthen the military so that it's "so big and so strong and so great" that "nobody's going to mess with us."
24. Be unpredictable. "No one is going to touch us, because I'm so unpredictable."
25. Allow Russia to deal with the Islamic State in Syria and/or work with Russian President Vladimir Putin to wipe out shared enemies.
Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin: A bromance Play Video1:19 Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has said a lot of nice things about Russian president Vladimir Putin. Putin finally responded. (Gillian Brockell/The Washington Post) 26. "Bomb the s--- out of ISIS." Also bomb oil fields controlled by the Islamic State, then seize the oil and give the profits to military veterans who were wounded while fighting.
27. Target and kill the relatives of terrorists.
28. Shut down parts of the Internet so that Islamic State terrorists cannot use it to recruit American children.
29. Bring back waterboarding, which the Obama administration considers torture. Trump has said he's willing to use interrogation techniques that go even further than waterboarding. Even if such tactics don't work, "they deserve it anyway, for what they're doing."
30. Leave troops in Afghanistan because it's such "a mess." Protect Israel. And increase U.S. military presence in the East and South China Seas.
31. Find an "out" clause in the Iran deal and then "totally" renegotiate the whole thing.
Highlights from Trump, Cruz rally against Iran deal Play Video5:11 Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson and radio personality Glenn Beck joined a long list of politicians at the Capitol on Wednesday to express their disproval with the international nuclear deal with Iran. (AP) 32. "I promise I will never be in a bicycle race. That I can tell you." (This promise is connected to criticism of Secretary of State John F. Kerry, who was injured while riding a bicycle amid the Iran negotiations.)
33. Refuse to call Iran's leader by his preferred title. "I guarantee you I will be never calling him the Supreme Leader... I'll say, 'Hey baby, how ya doing?' I will never call him the Supreme Leader."
34. Negotiate the release of all U.S. prisoners held in Iran before taking office. (Five hostages were recently released, including Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian; Trump has taken some credit for this.)
35. Oppose the killing of journalists: "I hate some of these people, but I would never kill them."
36. Find great generals -- like the next Gen. Patton or Gen. MacArthur -- and do not allow them to go onto television news shows to explain their military strategy: "I don't want my generals being interviewed, I want my generals kicking a--." Trump likes generals who are rough, foul-mouthed and beloved by their troops.
37. Drop that "dirty, rotten traitor" Bowe Bergdahl out of an airplane into desolate Afghanistan without a parachute.
Trump says he will review Bergdahl's case if elected president Play Video0:41 Republican presidential contender Donald Trump called Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl a "traitor" and said that he would review his case if elected president. Bergdahl will face a general court-martial in connection with his 2009 disappearance from his base in Afghanistan. (Reuters)
Follow Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
The Phoenix V.A., it has just been reported, is in worse shape than ever before. The wait is horrendous, and people are dying. I will fix it 8:00 AM - 26 Dec 2015
2,873 2,873 Retweets 8,054 8,054 likes
38. Fire "the corrupt and incompetent" leaders of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and dramatically reform the agency. Allow veterans to take their military identification card to any medical facility that accepts Medicaid patients to receive care. Embed satellite VA clinics in rural hospitals and underserved areas, and ensure than every VA hospital is permanently staffed with OBGYN doctors.
Follow Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
Our great VETERANS are being treated very badly because of corruption and incompetence at the V.A. That will stop, I will fix this quickly! 3:31 PM - 25 Dec 2015
3,442 3,442 Retweets 9,403 9,403 likes
39. Invest more heavily in programs that help military veterans transition back to civilian life, including job training and placement services. Also increase funding for the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder, traumatic brain injuries and mental health issues. Veterans who apply for a job at a VA facility will have five points added to their qualifying scores.
40. Bring back jobs from China -- and Mexico, Japan and elsewhere.
41. "I will be the greatest jobs president that God ever created." Trump says cities like Reno, Nev., will "be a big fat beautiful beneficiary" of these new jobs.
Follow Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
Love seeing union & non-union members alike are defecting to Trump. I will create jobs like no one else. Their #Dem leaders can’t compete! 5:09 PM - 8 Jan 2016
2,633 2,633 Retweets 7,215 7,215 likes
42. Students at Wofford College in South Carolina, where Trump attended a town hall, will all have jobs at graduation.
43. Aggressively challenge China's power in the world by declaring the country a currency manipulator, adopting a "zero tolerance policy on intellectual property theft and forced technology transfer" and cracking down on China's "lax labor and environmental standards."
Trump: China's currency devaluation ‘a disgrace’ Play Video0:57 During a speech in Michigan, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump said, "You have to do something to rein in China," adding that "they're making it absolutely impossible for the United States to compete." (Reuters) 44. Rather than throw the Chinese president a state dinner, buy him "a McDonald's hamburger and say we've got to get down to work."
45. Replace "free trade" with "fair trade." Gather together the "smartest negotiators in the world," assign them each a country and renegotiate all foreign trade deals.
46. Put billionaire hedge fund manager Carl Icahn in charge of trade negotiations with China and Japan, and pick an ambassador to Japan who is "a killer," unlike the current ambassador, Caroline Kennedy.
47. Tell Ford Motor Co.'s president that unless he cancels plans to build a massive plant in Mexico, the company will face a 35 percent tax on cars imported back into the United States. Trump is confident he can get this done before taking office. (Last year he incorrectly said this had already happened.)
48. Force Nabisco to once again make Oreos in the United States. And bully Apple into making its "damn computers" and other products here.
49. Impose new taxes on many imports into the country. Numbers thrown around have included 32 percent, 34 percent and 35 percent.
50. Grow the nation's economy by at least 6 percent.
51. Reduce the $18 trillion national debt by "vigorously eliminating waste, fraud and abuse in the federal government, ending redundant government programs and growing the economy to increase tax revenues."
52. Cut the budget by 20 percent by simply renegotiating.
53. Get rid of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
What you need to know about Donald Trump's tax plan Play Video0:54 Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump released a tax proposal, outlining “major” tax cuts while helping to “balance budgets.” Here’s exactly what’s inside Trump’s tax plan. (The Washington Post) 54. Simplify the U.S. tax code and reduce the number of tax brackets from seven to four. The highest earners would pay a 25-percent tax. The corporate tax rate would fall to 15 percent. Eliminate the "marriage penalty" for taxpayers and get rid of the alternate minimum tax.
55. No longer charge income tax to single individuals earning less than $25,000 per year or couples earning less than $50,000. These people will, however, be required to file a one-page form with the Internal Revenue Service that states: "I win."
56. Ensure that Americans can still afford to golf.
57. Allow corporations a one-time window to transfer money being held overseas, charging a much-reduced 10 percent tax.
58. Get rid of most corporate tax loopholes or incentives, but continue to allow taxpayers to deduct mortgage interest and charitable donations from their taxes.
59. On his first day in office, Trump would get rid of gun-free zones at military bases and in schools.
60. Use "common sense" to fix the mental health system and prevent mass shootings. Find ways to arm more of the "good guys" like him who can take out the "sickos." Get rid of bans on certain types of guns and magazines so that "good, honest people" can own the guns of their choice.
Trump: 'They're not going to take your guns away' Play Video1:16 Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump slammed President Obama’s executive action on gun control, saying “you saw what he did today… it’s no good.” (Reuters) 61. Impose a minimum sentence of five years in federal prison for any violent felon who commits a crime using a gun, with no chance for parole or early release.
62. Fix the background check system used when purchasing guns to ensure states are properly uploading criminal and health records.
63. Allow concealed-carry permits to be recognized in all 50 states.
64. Sign an executive order calling for the death penalty for anyone found guilty of killing a police officer.
65. Provide more funding for police training.
66. And provide more funding for drug treatment, especially for heroin addicts.
Trump: Heroin 'bigger and tougher' problem for New Hampshire Play Video1:00 Speaking in Manchester, N.H. the morning after Fox Business's Republican presidential debate, candidate Donald Trump identified ways his administration would battle heroin addiction in the United States. (Reuters) 67. On the first day in office, terminate President Obama's executive orders related to immigration. This includes getting rid of "sanctuary cities" that Trump says have become refuges for criminals.
68. Deport the almost 11 million immigrants illegally living in the United States.
69. Triple the number of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers.
70. Continue to allow lowly paid foreign workers to come to the United States on temporary works visas because Trump says they are the only ones who want to pick grapes.
72. Say things that are politically incorrect, because the country does not have time to waste with political correctness.
73. Make America great again -- and strong again, as it has become too weak.
74. Be a cheerleader for America and bring the country's spirit back. "Take the brand of the United States and make it great again."
75. Bring back the American Dream.
76. Start winning again. "We're going to win so much -- win after win after win -- that you're going to be begging me: 'Please, Mr. President, let us lose once or twice. We can't stand it any more.' And I'm going to say: 'No way. We're going to keep winning. We're never going to lose. We're never, ever going to lose."